Monday 10 September 2012

Too much freedom is poisonous - My take

Truth be told, we are living in a very dynamic world and how quickly things change leaves me wondering. It is only the other day that I cleared my secondary education but when I look back and see how things have changed I really get shocked. It seems like I moved out of high school a decade ago.
 
During my days in high school, one wished that he/she would rather be in Kamiti maximum prison than being in school. Rules were very strict and the punishment given to those who broke them was more than severe. Caning was not anything to talk about since it was obvious. When a student’s name was read during parade, the next stop would be at the office of the deputy principal who also doubled as the schools discipline master.
 
The payment of visiting his office was six of the best and when you left the office, your buttocks would be really paining and sitting down would be a great problem.
It defeats the purpose of being in school when I hear students are protesting in the name of, being allowed to put on short skirts in school. I wish they went to school during our time when no student would be allowed to dictate how things should be done but rather keep quiet and wait for orders from above.
 
I was even more astonished when the minister for education Hon. Mutula Kilonzo supported the move that they should be allowed to put on the short skirts in class. Where exactly are we heading to? Somebody should tell me whether we still have our manners because I feel that we have given them to the animals in the jungle.

Kenya Education Minister Mutula Kilonzo introducing his model skirt that is just two inches below the knee in a bid to quell the storm  over  the miniskirt row.
 
This makes me wonder so loudly, are these students in school to showcase their body structures? Has schooling turned to be a fashion show? Or what other business took them to school apart from what we all know, to get education? We must have missed a very big step, and we should go back on the drawing board and check where we started missing it.
 
Giving our young sisters and brothers in High school much freedom will definitely spoil them. Most of them are not yet eighteen and therefore not in a position of making mature decisions and I guess that’s the reason they are not issued with national identity cards until they hit eighteen years and in a position of making informed decisions.
 
Soon than later we might hear them demanding more than putting on mini-skirts. Prevention is always better than cure and the earlier we start talking to them and denying them some of those useless and misguided freedoms the better.
I am not writing this because I dint enjoy the so called freedom but simply because I feel that whatever they call freedom might be poisonous to them. It might expose them to a number of dangers that can lead them to a lot of regrets in future.
 
I don’t see any harm at all in a high school girl putting on a long skirt and performing well in her exams, rather than putting on a mini skirt in class and performing poorly in the exam. It is good to appreciate what we have got and be proud of them and let people complement us, but again we don’t have to expose them so they can be seen.
 
It is our obligation and duty to sensitize our young brothers and sisters in High School on the dangers of too much freedom. We have to educate them so that they can know what took them to school and work hard in achieving the best academically. Let us be there for them and they will be there for our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment